I liked this post by Joe Cullinane, author of 21st Century Selling, over at his WOMP blog.
Although his post is poorly formatted, as one huge paragraph, the content is good.
Cullinane asserts that we can manage word-of-mouth just as we would any other lead generation tactic. To be effective at word-of-mouth (WOM) he recommends, "a word-of-mouth process” (WOMP).
Cullinane suggests the following to generate leads by harnessing the Word-Of-Mouth Process:
- Leverage The Influentials (aka Industry Experts)
- Become a Recognized Expert – act like a thought leader.
- Be visable. (write, speak, publish, and promote)
- Benefit from the Halo Effect. Associate with the big names
- Use Customer Reference Selling.
- Leverage Your Social Network.
Link: WOMP: WOMP Your Way to Qualified Sales Leads.